Sunday, September 14, 2008


We went to my monthly appointment on Monday and everything is fine. Nothing exciting going on. I was pleased to find out I hadn't gained too much weight because I've been feeling so big lately. I just want to be within normal range. I'm not scared of gaining weight as long as I'm not gaining too much.

I've been having bad back pain (in my sciatic nerve) which I have found out is common in pregnancy. The difficulty is trying to get out of bed at 3am without crying out in pain and waking William up. I have to move very carefully which is no easy task when you are surrounded by a huge body pillow that doesn't allow you to move easily. Man, I feel old and fat... but it will all be worth it.

The baby's room is coming along really nicely. We bought a chair on Friday along with a rug. Those are the two final pieces for the baby's room. They won't be in for 4-6 weeks so we're anxiously waiting to see how everything is going to fit together in his room.

Here's a picture of our baby bedding (the colors are a bit deceiving - the grey color is actually a brown and the words "Cole" are not emblazoned on the quilt). :-)

We finally registered on Saturday at Babies R Us and Target. That was an interesting experience to say the least. Babies R Us took forever and it was quite overwhelming. We were there 2+ hours and after going home and doing more research, I worked 2+ more hours going back and changing some of our registry items based on people's ratings. "What does a baby need?" -- that was the question of the night. We registered for some expensive stuff (that we don't expect folks to buy) because we found out you get 10% off on your registry items when you close everything out. Who knew a car seat would be be $170. And that's just an infant car seat - only up to 30 lbs - and after that we have to do this all over again. Yay. Kids are truly expensive. I am just now beginning to learn all of this. Eek. William and I are entering a whole new world (and demographic).

I'll hopefully update more regularly soon once we get the house squared away. The second trimester hasn't been all roses as the books say. Today I went to church and had to walk out before the sermon started because I started breaking out into a cold sweat and thought I was going to throw up. I was really looking forward to being in church too. It was all because the room was a bit warm. I sat in the car with the air blowing in my face and told William to go back in. I just literally "chilled" in the car and listened to my podcast of This American Life. I guess I'll download our pastor's sermon later (thank God for podcasts).

I feel so much like a wuss lately. I also took Thursday off to just rest because I've just barely been able to walk anywhere without feeling completely fatigued and breaking out into a sweat. My heart has been doing the flipflops again and I can't stand for long periods of time. The doctor said I was on the verge of being anemic so I've been taking iron supplements (in addition to all the other vitamins I already take). Hopefully those will kick in soon!

Speaking of kicking, William felt the baby kick for the first time on Friday night. I think he was a bit shocked at how it feels. I've been trying to get him to feel it but he always just misses the window of opportunity when the baby is kicking away. As soon as he places his hands on my belly the baby is like the frog that just ribbits and stops the song/dance performance. (Some of you know the cartoon I'm referring to, hopefully!)

That's it for now!


jen hunter said...

The bedding is adorable!

It was so fun having lunch with ya'll yesterday. We'll have to do that more often.

I hope you have a great week!

wagners-of-rock said...

Karla - I have the books, etc.
It was great seeing you both...sorry you still aren't feeling well. We love you both (three)